Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
DOI (Digital Object Identifier)
If http://doi.org/ or https://doi.org/ is not already included in the DOI, then you must add it at the beginning: For example:
If the DOI appears like this online: 10.1353/pmc.2000.0021
Then the DOI should appear like this in the Works Cited list: https://doi.org/10.1353/pmc.2000.0021
This allows the reader to access the link while reading online.
In order of preference
The order of preference for the location of online works is now the following:
- DOI (Digital Object Identifier)
- stable URL
- browser URL
Therefore, always look for the DOI first. If not available continue to search for the online location in the order of preference as stated above.
- omit http:// and https://
- https:// is only included with DOI
- if it is longer than 3 lines in your paper
- maintain the host
- If the entire URL appears like this: https://www.proquest.com/linguistics/docview/899294597/fulltext/9C2AFDECC6F14632PQ/1?accountid=28498
- Then it can be truncated like this: www.proquest.com/linguistics/docview/899294597/fullte
- never add a hyphen or space or add or delete a slash (/)
- accuracy of URL is more important than appearance
- do not use shortening services (e.g bit.ly, tiny.url, etc.)